[rabbitmq-discuss] Direct vs Topic exchange - Question

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri May 4 11:11:59 BST 2012

Thanks. I was able to get this to run.

However, with the code as it stands I think it's hard to measure
performance of the broker. In order to see how fast the broker can go,
you need to have the client pushing it as hard as it can - therefore the
broker pretty much needs to enter flow control by definition.

I attempted to make this happen by setting the rate limit in the client
to 100,000 msg/s. However, this caused the memory usage of the client to
explode - due to the line 115 of publisher_wrk.erl:

     amqp_channel:cast(Channel, Publish, Msg).

Since this is pushing messages as fast as possible into the client
channel process, you end up filling its mailbox as you can give it
messages faster than it can send them out on the wire.

After only a few seconds of this the client process was so big that my
machine started to swap badly, bits of RabbitMQ got swapped out, and
performance became very poor.

Changing this cast to a call slows the client down a bit (but not much)
but makes its memory use stable at high message rates. With this change
in place, and a very high rate limit, I was able to get:

direct, 1 producer,   1 consumer:   ~25kHz
topic,  1 producer,   1 consumer:   ~14kHz
direct, 10 producers, 10 consumers: ~25kHz
         (but queues grew since consumers could not keep up)
topic,  10 producers, 10 consumers: ~16kHz

on my workstation. This is very roughly what I would expect - with tiny
messages quite a lot of the cost of each message is routing, and topic
routing *is* more complex.

So I'm afraid I don't really trust the results you got - how were you
choosing a rate limit for the client? Too low and you're not driving the
broker as hard as you can, and with that cast in place, too high and
you'll start to eat all memory and eventually cause RabbitMQ to get
swapped out.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen