[rabbitmq-discuss] broken release?

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 3 09:45:32 BST 2012

Hi,

On 03/05/12 08:48, Aryeh Leib Taurog wrote:
> We are evaluating RabbitMQ/pika for our stack.  I have it installed,
> via the rabbitmq debian/apt repository, on a ubuntu lucid test server.
> Yesterday morning, the apt package manager updated rabbitmq-server
> from 2.8.1-1 to 2.8.2-1.  At that point, it stopped working
> altogether.

Could you tell us more about what is not working? Does the logfile
contain anything relevant? Can you send a sample program that
illustrates the problem?

1335986940645: <Tracer-0> ch#0 ->
{#method<connection.start-ok>(client-properties={product=Pika Python
AMQP Client Library}, mechanism=PLAIN, response=
[ ... missing content ... ]
1335986940646: <Tracer-0> ch#0 <-
{#method<connection.tune>(channel-max=0, frame-max=131072, heartbeat=0),
null, ""}

Except for the line above the trace output looks normal. Did you edit
the output before sending? How does this output differ from what you see
with v2.8.1 ?

> I see a warning in the rabbitmq log about connection_closed_abruptly,

That entry will correspond to a client closing a connection without
sending an AMQP close method first - a harmless event.

> I was able to resolve the problem by removing the new version of
> rabbitmq-server with 'apt-get remove' then downloading the previous
> version from the rabbitmq site and reinstalling that with dpkg.
>
> This raises questions in my mind about using rabbitmq in our
> production stack.  Are 'latest releases' from the repository
> considered stable?  Are people using rabbitmq in production on ubuntu?
> Ubuntu lucid is a pretty popular server platform, and there isn't much
> unusual about my test machine.  Has no one else reported any problems?

No problems specific to release 2.8.2 have been reported. The latest
version is considered stable and releases are tested on Ubuntu.

> Also I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any public bug
> tracker.  I gather that RabbitMQ is the open-source effort of a
> private enterprise, but that is hardly an excuse.  MySQL and Java both
> have public bug trackers.

The RabbitMQ bugtracker is not public at this time and the mailing list
is the correct place to report bugs.

-Emile