[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ installation vs. ERL_LIB

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Mar 22 13:53:54 GMT 2012

On 22/03/12 13:43, Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
> Long term it
> would be much better to move the package out of the shared lib dir.

Or short term even.

I don't know anything about the Gentoo packaging for RabbitMQ, but
installing it into /usr/lib/erlang/lib is definitely bad and wrong, for
precisely this reason.

Yes, we used to do this for RPMs and debs back in ancient days, but then
we came to our senses. These days you should be able to install it
anywhere and the startup shell script will figure out the paths needed
for the VM.

BTW, the assertion here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/riak-users@lists.basho.com/msg04097.html

about a symlink in Debian packaging is I think incorrect. (I just went
back and installed our 2.3.1 deb and no such symlink exists.)

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware