[rabbitmq-discuss] Simplest possible embedded message producer

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Tue Mar 20 15:49:02 GMT 2012

This answer is likely to be less interesting/applicable to many
people than Tony and Simon's suggestions which can at least be
done entirely in software, but...

You could embrace the option of offloading more of the work into
another piece of hardware the way the Ethernet shields for Arduino
boards (also based on the ATmega family of microcontrollers) work.

For your network connectivity you could use an (almost, modulo
probably power supply) all in one part like the Wiznet W5100,
which gives you a TCP and UDP supporting IP stack baked into an
Ethernet chip.  Your could would then talk to this thing via SPI,
something that at least will fit on the ATmega side...

If you're using Arduino, you can buy most of this stuff pre-made.
If not, it's probably a few afternoons of breadboarding and debugging,
although IIRC the Wiznet only comes in a tiny surface mount package
that might be annoying to work with, depending on how you're equipped.

Best regards,
Jerry