[rabbitmq-discuss] SuSE: 2.8.0 start script uses 'runuser'

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Tue Mar 20 12:23:44 GMT 2012

Dear Josh,

Thanks for telling us about this -- this is rather embarrassing. In
attempting to get Linux server installations to start the rabbitmq-service
without blocking shutdown, we used runuser for certain systems. Our
mistake.

A workaround ought to be to replace runuser in the relevant script, as
below:

On line 29 (or thereabouts) in the rabbitmq-server script in init.d
there is a line like this:

START_PROG="runuser rabbitmq --session-command"

which you should replace with:

START_PROG="setsid"

This will cause the rabbitmq-server service to be started with 'su'. Be
aware that this might inhibit shutdown (since su creates a PAM session
for the user rabbitmq).

We'll update our SuSE rpm file, when we find a proper solution to this.

Steve Powell  (a happy bunny)
----------some more definitions from the SPD----------
vermin (v.) Treating the dachshund for roundworm.
chinchilla (n.) Cooling device for the lower jaw.
socialcast (n.) Someone to whom everyone is speaking but nobody likes.