[rabbitmq-discuss] Federated exchange slowdown

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Mar 20 12:21:48 GMT 2012

On 19/03/12 14:00, Busoli, Simone wrote:
> Hi Simon, I think I've mostly tracked down the issue to the symmetric
> setup of the federated exchanges between the two brokers. I noticed
> that whenever I start publishing messages to an exchange configured
> that way the network starts behaving in surprisingly ways. For
> instance, I can no longer get two machines connected directly by two
> network switches to ping each other. Stop publishing messages and
> everything goes back to a normal state. A federated exchange which
> goes in one direction only as well as a shovel instead behave just
> fine.

I am very confused by this.

Really, nothing the federation plugin does should be able to stop ICMP
pings from working, it's just a TCP connection after all.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow federation is going mad
and flooding the link with traffic - but I'm sure you would have noticed
that. And pings should still get through anyway.

Does wireshark / tcpdump / etc show anything unusual?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware