[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ - Esper and back

Mark Steele msteele at beringmedia.com
Fri Mar 16 20:37:39 GMT 2012

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has put together an open source integration of
RabbitMQ and Esper.

A couple approaches could be taken to get the data moved around. The
cleanest way is probably an Esper input plugin. Would something like this
work? (
http://esper.codehaus.org/esperio-4.5.0/doc/reference/en/html/adapter_jms_spring.html),
if there's already an easy integration path and I'm just too ignorant of
java to know it, then please clue me in.

Specifically, what I'm looking for is a daemon that reads messages off AMQP
(in XML format), and pushes them into Esper. With outputs of EPL queries
being pushed back into AMQP.

Example code that does something similar can be found in reconnoiter (
https://labs.omniti.com/labs/reconnoiter/browser), cepmon (
https://github.com/fetep/cepmon) and rocksteady (
http://code.google.com/p/rocksteady/source/browse/), although a more
generic approach using XML as the event format, and XPATH transormations
configured in a config file would make it generic.

Another approach could be to use the socket input plugin (
http://esper.codehaus.org/esperio-4.5.0/doc/reference/en/html/adapter_socket.html)
and build a bridge app to push events in (would still need to figure out
how to get the events out).

Once a generic approach like this would be implemented, it would be trivial
to integrate various apps to emit to AMQP (eg: collectd/graphite/etc) and
then send outputs out (eg: pagerduty/nagios/etc).

Mark Steele, CISSP, CSM
Bering Media Inc.