[rabbitmq-discuss] newbie problem--'Error: unable to connect to node 'rabbit at rabbitmq-small02-dev': nodedown'

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Fri Mar 16 17:56:57 GMT 2012

Hi John,

I assume that you established the reason for the clustering problems
encountered earlier was due to firewall configuration.

On 16/03/12 17:25, John Stoner wrote:
> We're looking to open fewer ports, not more./ /Is there a minimum we
> could do? Would one work, or would it break something else?

One port is possible (then inet_dist_listen_min = inet_dist_listen_max),
but a small number like 5 is more common. Avoid the ephemeral port range
when you make your selection.

> Also, we have these ports open to all TCP.  In the spirit of securing
> our systems, I guess we could open 4369 only to the IPs of the other
> machines in the cluster. Is that a good idea? Can you think of more
> firewall restrictions to add?

As discussed previously and above, you need to open at least one port in
addition to the one used by the port mapper daemon. You are free to add
further firewall restrictions, as long as all clusternodes are
accessible from all other clusternodes on the relevant ports, as
discussed here:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html#firewall

-Emile