[rabbitmq-discuss] status Active in Management web portal

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Mar 15 10:50:58 GMT 2012

On 14/03/12 19:59, MattH wrote:
> I have a queu and a client that will continuously poll the queu so at
> any given moment I do not have an active consumer. However the web
> management portal still shows the queue as as active which is correct
> given my application. The question is how dose the portal determine
> this and can I get access to this status programmatically?
>
> I am using Spring AMQP but I can dial back to the real rabbit api if
> needed. I alos looked a the HTTP API and did not see any equivalent to
> the Status active which is displayed in the web portal.

This information is far too obscure and implementation-specific to make
available via AMQP :-)

Via the management API, check if there's an idle_since key in the queue.
If not, it's active.

FTR, this just means "has the queue done *anything* in the last few
seconds?". If the queue is idle for a while it hibernates, which cuts
memory use and takes a little while to come back out of.

I would be very wary of using this in an application though - queues can
be woken up for all sorts of reasons. What were you planning on doing
with the information?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen