[rabbitmq-discuss] Looking for clarification on acknowledgements, channels, and connections

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Wed Mar 7 20:00:35 GMT 2012

I thought I understood this topic clearly, but some recent experiences have
me seeking more info, as I can't find this exact topic explicitly described.

When a message is delivered on a particular connection/channel combination,
can it ever be successfully acknowledged on a different connection?

My current understanding is "no".

Some background: In our messaging layer, we want to hide the connection
drops from the upper application layer. That is, if we try to use a
previously working connection/channel, and it fails, we'll simply catch the
exception and try to reconnect.

So the question is, after the reconnect, should we even attempt to
acknowledge messages read from the original connection?