[rabbitmq-discuss] Symmetric federation behavior

Busoli, Simone Simone.Busoli at ferrari.com
Fri Mar 2 11:14:50 GMT 2012

We are considering to temporary disable one of the two sides of the symmetric federation and constrain publishers to publish to the upstream only to avoid the unneeded roundtrip.
Our options would be to:

- disable one side of the federation and leave the other as-is
- disable both sides of the federation and replace it with a unidirectional shovel

What I'm concerned with is how to do this on a live system. We can shutdown the brokers of course as all clients have a reconnection logic built into them and will be able to catch up once the broker comes back online, but I'm wondering if it's feasible to just change the configuration file to carry out one of the two options above without needing to recreate the exchanges. Considering the first option, for instance, I would shutdown the broker on which I want to remove the federation, change the configuration file and start it up again, but the exchange on that broker (as it is durable) would still be of type x-federation, and I'm not sure the broker will like it.