[rabbitmq-discuss] Connection attempt from disallowed node question

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Fri Jun 29 13:12:44 BST 2012

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response to your question.

On 14/03/12 15:17, Derek Greer wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  I believe I have the problem resolved now.  What
> seems to be the issue is that our network logins don't point to the
> local user home directory.  This does raise another question, however.
>  On my local machine, opening up the cmd.exe shell drops me in
> C:\Users\[MyUserId]\ folder.  Within this folder, I have an
> .erlang.cookie file that matches the C:\Windows\.erlang.cookie file.

The Windows installer copies the cookie file over from the Windows
directory (windir) to the profile directory of the user performing the
installation. For a definition see the $PROFILE description in the NSIS
documentation:

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter4.html#4.2.3

I suspect NSIS uses the %USERPROFILE% variable.

> The values for my HOMEDIR and HOMEPATH variables are H: and \
> respectively, and I found that there was also a .erlang.cookie file in
> that folder as well that didn't match.  At what point did each of these
> files get created?  I'm assuming that the Erlang installer created a

This was probably randomly initialised at the first invocation of
rabbitmqctl.

> cookie in one of the folders while running an erlang process for the
> first time user my user created the other.  Could this be an issue with
> the installer perhaps?

Perhaps, if NSIS uses USERPROFILE, and this is different from HOMEDIR
and HOMEPATH. I will file a bug to determine whether that can be improved.

-Emile