[rabbitmq-discuss] Runit running Rabbit

Brendan Hay brendan at soundcloud.com
Tue Jun 26 17:04:47 BST 2012

Hi Richard,

If you are familiar with Procfiles/foreman/.env then you can see how I've
setup a 2 node test rig here:
https://github.com/brendanhay/myxi/tree/master/test/nodes

The vars were pilfered from here:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/configure.html#define-environment-variables
and here: http://www.rabbitmq.com/relocate.html

You can use the RABBITMQ prefixed env variables to change the respective
node's mnesia dirs and so on by re-exporting them in your runit scripts (or
using the rabbitmq-env.config, which you would also need to export from the
run script).

I use a standard runit service setup (via the standard chef runit cookbook
+ 'runit_service' definition) with the /etc/service/rabbitmq/run script
rendered somewhat as follows:

#!/bin/sh
exec 2>&1

# ulimit and other shenanigans here ..
ulimit -n 102400

# Export all the RABBITMQ prefixed variables here ..
export RABBITMQ_*

# Export the chptst -u user's HOME
export HOME=/var/lib/rabbitmq
cd $HOME

# Boom!
exec chpst -u rabbitmq /usr/local/sbin/rabbitmq-server

Hope that helps,
Brendan