[rabbitmq-discuss] Moving on

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Fri Jun 22 13:41:11 BST 2012

As some of you will have noticed, over the last few months, my
contributions to RabbitMQ have decreased fairly sharply. I have been
busying myself with other projects (eg AtomizeJS) and have only really
returned to work on Rabbit to help with knowledge transfer
(active/active HA systems) and other issues that interest me (eg the
Codel AQM experiments). Even that though is now at an end.

Whilst I am staying with VMware, I'm now officially moving on from
working with RabbitMQ to pastures new.

I first started work on RabbitMQ in the summer of 2006 and whilst there
were about 2.5 years in which I did various bits of a PhD and didn't
have anything to do with Rabbit during that time, I've nevertheless been
involved in Rabbit on and off for the last 6 years. When I returned to
LShift early spring 2009, Rabbit was a very much more primitive beast
than it is today - it couldn't hold more messages than could fit in RAM,
there were no plugins, we didn't implement the whole of AMQP 0-8, let
alone 0-9-1, there was no form of HA at all, etc etc. I am very grateful
to have had the opportunity to work on many of those areas and help the
community and guide the direction of Rabbit.

Obviously, Rabbit is in very good hands going forwards, not just with
the remaining members of the original team that came, along with myself,
to VMware from LShift, but with additional recruits, and of course with
the community that has, through bug reports, the creation of many
clients and applications, and through publicity in the form of blog
posts, books, and tweets, helped so much with Rabbit's growth and
continuing popularity.

Thank you, one and all.

Matthew