[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustered startup with multiple queues and multiple masters

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Thu Jun 21 17:05:05 BST 2012

Thanks Francesco.

Your script looks reasonably close to what I'm doing, except for a couple
of key differences:

All of your nodes are running on the same host. In my setup, each node is
in its own VM. I imagine this introduces additional networking into the
communication between nodes.

When you start Rabbit instances, you're doing it sequentially. In my setup
I start up in parallel on all three VMs via Capistrano. If you can't go the
multi-VM route, you may be able to somewhat simulate this by starting the
instances with an '&' at the end.

I use "killall -9 beam.smp", rather than just "killall beam.smp"

In short, the goal of my test is to simulate a worst case powerout in the
datacenter. All of our Rabbit instances run on separate VMs for fault
tolerance. Hopefully we won't lose them all at once, but if we do, we need
to be able to reliably restart them.