[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ with MySQL

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jun 18 13:03:02 BST 2012

Hi,

On 15/06/12 08:23, sateesh Bodla wrote:
> I have seen that the RabbitMQ is using the NoSQL database mnesia for
> storing its messaging queues. Is my assumption is correct. Can I know if
> we can configure the RabbitMQ with MySQL instead of mnesia. If possible,
> can anyone provide the pointers for that configuration.

Actually RabbitMQ uses a bespoke log-structured message store. Mnesia is
mostly used to store resource details, such as queues, exchanges and
accounts.

You should look at this blog post by Matthew Sackman before attempting
to use a database as a backing store:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2011/01/20/rabbitmq-backing-stores-databases-and-disks/

RabbitMQ does not offer the choice of MySQL as message store provider as
a configuration option, but all the interfaces you will need to
implement your own are abstracted out. See the backing queue Erlang
behaviour:
http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server/file/default/src/rabbit_backing_queue.erl

-Emile