[rabbitmq-discuss] Shovel problem by failed DNS request

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 21:50:29 BST 2012

On 15 Jun 2012, at 01:00, bino at indoakses-online.com wrote:

> dear all
>
> I have RabbitMQ with shovel togeteher with one producer in Mechine-A,
>
> The shovel configured to send queues to other mechine located at different
> location.
>
> Mechine-A is a mobile, it\'s located in a tugboat, connected to the
> internet using 3G.
>
> The problem is : when RabbitMQ (with Shovel) is started while there is no
> 3G connection, it failed to start.

When rabbit-server (or rabbit-server.bat) fails to start, you get a non-zero exit status, so you *should* be able to deal with that in your program by trying again or whatever.

> From the log file, it\' looks like (i\'m not in fron of that mechine right
> now) caused by shovel can not find remote rabbitMQ host name.
> This problem will also kill my producer script ... since it\'ll fail to
> connect to local RabbitMQ server.
>
> Kindly please give me your enlightment to solve this problem.

Which problem are you asking for help with bino - what to do about restarting rabbit, handling rabbit up/down statuses in the producer script, or dealing with an intermittent 3g connection? If it's the latter, then I'd recommend wrapping your rabbit startup routine with a check to ensure that the 3g connection is up. You'll also need to do something in your producer script to handle rabbit being potentially unavailable sometimes. If the internet connection is intermittent, then you're not going to escape from having to handle this scenario.