[rabbitmq-discuss] Help with the SSL tutorial on Windows Server 2008

Michael Demir Michael.Demir at intlfcstone.com
Wed Jun 13 00:01:22 BST 2012

Did you try installing openSSL package?  The 64 Bit package can be downloaded from http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html?

From: rabbitmq-discuss-bounces at lists.rabbitmq.com [mailto:rabbitmq-discuss-bounces at lists.rabbitmq.com] On Behalf Of Wiessler, Wolfgang
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:15 AM
To: rabbitmq-discuss at lists.rabbitmq.com
Subject: [rabbitmq-discuss] Help with the SSL tutorial on Windows Server 2008

Hello,

I recently installed RabbitMQ and successfully ran some of the tutorials using the .NET client. So far so good. Now I want to enable SSL encryption, but I am having problems following the tutorial.

Server is Windows Server 2008, 64 Bit.
My client is Windows 7 (64 Bit), but in the deployment scenario will be Windows Server 2008, 64 Bit.

What I did so far:

-          Installed otp_win64_R15B01.exe

-          Installed rabbitmq-server-2.8.2.exe

-          Added the rabbitmq.config file to the appdata/RabbitMQ directory with the content as shown in the tutorial (did not change the certificates yet)

When I start the service, the log shows
=INFO REPORT==== 12-Jun-2012::17:26:18 ===
started SSL Listener on [::]:5671

=INFO REPORT==== 12-Jun-2012::17:26:18 ===
started SSL Listener on 0.0.0.0:5671

Now I would like to create my own Certificate Authority and create certificates. The example in the tutorial seems to be using UNIX and does not show where to expect certain executables (e.g. openssl). I cannot find the file when I am searching for it on my server. Also certain UNIX commands are not available in Windows and I am not sure if they are required under windows or what the equivalent is (chmod, touch).

Could somebody please shed some light on what is missing? Do I need to install anything else? The tutorial is mentioning certain extra steps for Erlang R13B, but I am using R15B so I can ignore these steps?

Thanks for any help,
Wolfgang