[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ: Simple Test Program has Possible Network Issues

HFDeveloper M8R-wu57tr at mailinator.com
Mon Jun 11 13:21:12 BST 2012

I have a simple RabbitMQ test program that sends and then receives a message
to a RabbitMQ server. I have two computers and I've found that whether or
not my code works depends on which computer hosts the RabbitMQ server. Here
is my situation (excuse my MS Paint):

http://old.nabble.com/file/p33992826/ServerConfig.png

1) If computer A hosts the server and runs the code, sending a message from
A to A, it works.
2) If computer A hosts the server and my code runs on computer B, sending a
message from B to A, it works.
3) If computer B hosts the server and my code runs on computer A, sending a
message from A to B, I get an exception that says "None of the specified
endpoints were reachable".
4) If computer B hosts the server and runs the code, sending a message from
B to B, it works.
I can't figure out why scenario #3 doesn't work for me.

* I don't think it's the code because three of my scenarios work exactly as
I expect them to.
* I don't think it's a firewall issue because I ran these tests with my
firewalls turned off on both computers.
* I don't think it's a problem with the RabbitMQ server on computer B
because it is able to communicate with itself just fine (scenario #4).
* I checked the RabbitMQ log files on computer B after trying scenario #3,
but I don't see anything that says something about an attempted connection.
I think computer A is simply unable to see computer B when sending requests.

My question, very generally is, what are some things that I should be
looking for that might point to my problem? There must be some setting that
is checked on computer A but is not checked on computer B. Computer B has
the default installation of Erlang and RabbitMQ. I'm pretty sure computer A
is also set to the defaults (I didn't install it as recently).

Please help.