[rabbitmq-discuss] Beginner Issue with Rabbit MQ

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jun 11 11:40:45 BST 2012

On 05/06/12 17:43, Goel, Vaibhav wrote:
> However no messages are showing up in the recieve.py window and also
>
> [root at flanker rabbitmq]# /usr/local/sbin/rabbitmqctl list_queues
>
> Listing queues ...
>
> hello 0
>
> ...done.
>
> Always shows 0.
>
> Any ideas? I am a rabbitmq newbie and not sure what I am doing wrong.
> Obviously missing a config step or a permission somewhere....

Well, the code is fine. And RabbitMQ should not just claim to accept
messages that never go anywhere, regardless of config or permissions. So
a couple of possibilities spring to mind:

1) Is your publisher talking to the broker you think it is? Or are you
accidentally sending messages to some other broker? (Stop the broker -
publishing should fail - does it?)

2) Is there an extra consumer running somewhere that is grabbing the
messages before your consumer does? (Check rabbitmqctl list_consumers /
mgmt)

If things *still* don't make sense, the tracing plugin will let you see
what messages are being published / consumed at the broker.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware