[rabbitmq-discuss] Erlang Consumer Example

anton prokofiev a.d.prokofiev at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 21:59:46 BST 2012

On Sunday, 29 July 2012 21:21:06 UTC+2, anton prokofiev wrote:

> Hello, All!
>
> I tried to create  a consumer in Erlang for RabbitMQ and get into big
> troubles.
> Looks like examples that are available in RabbitMQ website did not work.
>
> I have found an old post here
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topicsearchin/rabbitmq-discuss/$20{function_clause,[{amqp_channel,build_content,/rabbitmq-discuss/WttoYWjFweU
> unfortunately it is not to clear to me what to do.
>
> Could somebody provide me with a full example of consumer?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>

> Looks like I have found a correct solution:

1. I have implemented simple gen_server, that just print all messages to
the stdout.

2. And  to like this:
  {ok,Connection} = amqp_connection:start(ConnectionParams), % open
connection with predefined params.
  {ok,Pid} =  test_srv:start_link(),    % Start our own consumer.
  {ok,Channel}  = amqp_connection:open_channel(Connection,none,*
{amqp_direct_consumer,[Pid]}*),

Then subscribe to the massages as described in the documentation.

In this cases all messages (basic.consume, basic.consume_ok,basic.deliver)
are received through  handle_info method call of test_srv.

Now the question:
Would it be better to create my own implementation of consume behavior, or
handle them thought the message_info as it is now?
Any recommendations?