[rabbitmq-discuss] Why do we need rabbitmq-web-stomp and why not rabitmq-web-amqp (over websockets)?

Francesco Mazzoli francesco at rabbitmq.com
Fri Jul 27 12:03:46 BST 2012

At Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:03:28 -0700,
Paddy Carman wrote:
> Hi -
>     I'm reading about the rabbitmq-web-stomp plugin. It seem very cool - STOMP
> over Websockets connecting to AMQP backend. My questions:
> * can we do AMQP over websockets directly and
> * If so, why do we need STOMP?
> * Is there any particular advantage of using STOMP?

Stomp is a tremendously more simple protocol than AMQP, which is why it is easy
to have a STOMP-over-SockJS.  Moreover, exposing AMQP to the internet is not a
good idea.

> * Are there performance implications in the STOM<>AMQP translation?

Not really.  The STOMP plugin uses the direct exchange, and converting between
message formats is straightforward.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt