[rabbitmq-discuss] Configuring beyond rabbitmq server on localhost

Francesco Mazzoli francesco at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jul 23 17:13:22 BST 2012

Hi Jim,
At Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:29:29 +0000,
McMahon, James S (TASC) wrote:
>      How is this done? I'm guessing that I need to replace all my localhost
> references with some form of a URL for my remote host, and I suspect there
> will be rabbitmq and/or erlang configuration files that need to be modified on
> the server host and client machines so that they can communicate with the
> rabbitmq remote server. Is there an example?

To communicate with a remote rabbit server you need, as you guessed, to specify
the remote host and port when establishing a connection to the broker.  In the
case of the Java client you can do that with the relevant `ConnectionFactory'
methods.

Rabbit will bind on all interfaces by default, so the broker will be accessible
remotely.

>      Do people typically have multiple rabbitMQ servers running in some
>      federated fashion, serving as backup instances for fault tolerance and
>      fail over?

There are various way to cluster/federate rabbit brokers, see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/distributed.html for a comparison between the various
approaches.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt