[rabbitmq-discuss] Restarting/re-establising failed federation connections

David Gillies dgillies at brandscreen.com
Fri Jul 20 01:58:26 BST 2012

On 19 July 2012 20:41, Matthias Radestock <matthias at rabbitmq.com> wrote:

> David,
>

> On 18/07/12 01:56, David Gillies wrote:
>
>> I've posted up the logs from the downstream server from around the time
>> that one of the upstream servers lose connectivity and the downstream
>> server is never able to connect again here:
>> https://gist.github.com/**85da45443b92e69e29a0<https://gist.github.com/85da45443b92e69e29a0>
>>

> Please use the correct terminology, it gets really confusing otherwise. In
> federation, messages flow from the upstream to the downstream (makes sense,
> doesn't it?), and connections are established from the downstream to the
> upstream.
>
> Anyway, There is nothing unusual in the logs...the downstreams (using the
> correct terminology) lose connectivity and try to re-establish it. They
> *should* keep trying indefinitely. Is there any evidence that they don't?

After leaving the downstream servers to (supposedly) reconnect for hours (I
think the longest I've left them is approximately 36 hours without
intervention) I see no messages leaving the upstream queue and eventually
the filesystem fills up from queue banking up (I've set a TTL on the queue
for now but I'd rather not have to do that).

> There is nothing special about the way federation establishes connections,
> so if at some point you think that a downstream should be able to connect
> to the upstream but doesn't, then run an ordinary amqp client on the
> downstream machine and see whether it can connect to the upstream.

I've been doing exactly that and I've had no issues with connecting to the
upstream using an amqp client.

--
David Gillies
Senior Systems Engineer, Brandscreen
dgillies at brandscreen.com

Australia: Level 2, 30 Alfred Street, Milsons Point NSW 2061 Australia