[rabbitmq-discuss] Ubuntu 10.04: Unable to Start RabbitMQ Server Post-Installation

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sat Jul 7 19:40:21 BST 2012

On 07/07/12 19:28, Francesco Mazzoli wrote:
> At Sat, 7 Jul 2012 20:04:25 +0200,
> Alvaro Videla wrote:
>> You should check that there's no other broker running on port 5672
>>
>> I think that is what this error means. You probably have a service already
>> listening on that port
>
> I'm not sure what the OP problem is, but rabbit does print a better error
> message in that case:

...and also in the case where there are problems starting Erlang's
distribution protocol, which is what is happening here.

> So unless this was different in older versions (and if the OP installed the
> version that comes with Ubuntu 10.04, the version will be old),

This definitely looks like an old version of rabbit.

Though I suspect a newer rabbit would fail to start too, just with a
prettier error message.

I suspect the underlying problem is DNS resolution of the machine's
hostname timing out.

Matthias.