[rabbitmq-discuss] Disconnecting vs failure of a disk node and reconnecting a new one...?

Navigateur naveen.chwl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:57:57 BST 2012

New to RabbitMQ. I want do to high-availability over 2 machines. Do I make
them both disk nodes or just 1? If just 1, but its disk fails, does the
other one automatically become a "disk node"? If not, and I replace the
failed-disk machine with a brand new machine with the same name (e.g.
rabbit at server1) and simply instruct it to join the cluster - will
everything continue to work as if nothing happened? If not, which steps do
I do to make it?

If I can't, then 2 disk nodes is the better solution, yes? And if I did
that, is recovering from an abrupt failure of 1 of the machines simply to
replace that machine, give it the same name (e.g. rabbit at server1) and call
the rabbitmqctl cluster command? Is that all I would have to do? If not,
which steps do I do to get things back up fully?

I also have a 3rd machine running, which doesn't have any local web app
software which creates or listens for any RabbitMQ messages. Would I
benefit from using that as an additional (3rd) RabbitMQ node still? For
example, the 3rd non-web-app machine as a disk node, and the 2
web-app-clustered (which load-balance) machines as RAM nodes? And maybe
have a RAID disk in the 3rd non-web-app machine. Is this the best solution
of all? Last question, how do I recover after explicitly removing a disk
node (i.e. not through disk failure, this in addition do the disk-failure
question)?