[rabbitmq-discuss] Messages lost with RabbitMQ Federation

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jul 5 14:09:01 BST 2012

On 05/07/12 12:08, Roman Gaufman wrote:
> However when I restart the VPN, the UK server has received 43737
> messages while the US only received 43708 messages. Where did 29
> messages disappear?

Is it instead possible that 29 messages have been duplicated? Remember
that when you kill an AMQP connection where A is consuming from B, A can
have sent acknowledgements which B has not yet received. In this case
when the federation link comes back up again, those messages will be
retransmitted. You will be able to see this as there will be a
redelivered flag set in the federation headers. (But don't just throw
away redelivered messages - they might not have reached A when the
connection went down.)

I suggest you modify your tests to send a fixed number of messages and
see what happens.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen