[rabbitmq-discuss] Federation Issues: Disconnects and Failures on Queue Bind - 2012-01-20

DawgTool dawgtool at aol.com
Tue Jan 24 18:37:08 GMT 2012

Hi Simon,

On a side note; the performance I am seeing between cluster is very
unexpected.
Publishing to the federated exchange seems to consume about ~4 times the
CPU as a typical exchange.
The downstream cluster also sees about the same level of cpu usage.

Setup:
Cluster(001) dc001-exchange-u (fanout)
Cluster(002) dc001-exchange-d (fanout) -> dc001-queue-d

Test 1:
Messages: ~3K/sec
Network:  8.5KB/sec
Cluster(001) CPUs: 45% consumed
Cluster(002) CPUs: 47% consumed

Test 2:
Messages: ~11K/sec
Network: 38KB/sec
Cluster(001) CPUs: 97% consumed
Cluster(002) CPUs: 97% consumed

What I was hoping to see that Cluster(002) would be about half the cpu
consumption as Cluster(001).
Or something like the scenario of publishing to a cluster on host 1 with
the queue on host 2.
Host 1 would take on the message handling from the publisher and hand it
off to host 2 which writes to the queue (spreads the load across the
cluster, but adds a little overhead).

Please let me know if I have missed something, or if you can think of
any tricks to reduce the cpu usage.
Thanks