[rabbitmq-discuss] Shovel questions

Elias Levy fearsome.lucidity at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 22:58:37 GMT 2012

We are thinking of exposing a portion of our message bus to customers.  To
do we we will be creating a new cluster that can be exposed and will be
linking it to our existing cluster.

I've looked a the Federation plug-in, but it has a feature disqualifies it
for our purposes.   We'd like to keep communications from our existing
cluster to the new exposed cluster unidirectional.  That means now allowing
incoming connections into the existing cluster, in case there is ever a
RabbitMQ vulnerability (or say, an Erlang or OpenSSL vulnerability) that
would allow the external cluster to be compromised.  Since both cluster are
running RabbitMQ, we don't want an attacker to be able to jump from the
external cluster to the internal one.  From what I've gathered, the AMQP
client that the Federation plug-in uses executed within the downstream
broker, and thus it has to be able to make an AMQP connection to the
upstream broker.

Is that correct?  Any plans to allow for the opposite behavior (upstream
connects to the downstream broker)?

That leaves us with the Shovel plug-in, which can be configured to run on
either the upstream or downstream broker.

One problem with the Shovel plug-in is that it appears you can only manage
the shovels within the configuration file.  Is there no way to manage
shovels online, either through AMQP or a management plug-in?

If neither of those are possible, can RabbitMQ reload its configuration
without restarting?

Finally, its unclear whether you should only define a shovel in a single
node in a cluster or in multiple ones?  If you define it in multiple ones,
does it create multiple shovel clients competing for messages?  If not,
will a shovel fail over if the node with the existing client fails?

Elias