[rabbitmq-discuss] Pushing events to browser

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:52:49 GMT 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:54, Mark <static.void.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> We would like for each one of our users to subscribe to their own personal
> queue. When a message is delivered to this queue we would like to send this
> notification to the user in real-time. I was wondering the preferred way of
> doing this.
>
> For example with Faye Pub/Sub server (http://faye.jcoglan.com/) they include
> a javascript file that can be used to subscribe to events from the
> front-end. Is there anything like this with RabbitMQ or AMQP in general?

Take a look at our recent project - SockJS:
   https://github.com/sockjs/sockjs-client

You would still need to write a bridge between RabbitMQ and SockJS,
but I personally think it's desired, and gives you more flexibility in the
future.

> This also leads me to my next question. What is the upper bound of unique
> queues one RabittMQ machine can reasonably manage. I know its hardware
> dependent but can someone throw out a ballpark figure... hundreds,
> thousands, 10's of thousands... etc

RabbitMQ is surprisingly good at handling large number of relatively unused
queues. But if you want to keep them busy and push messages often -
well, that's another story. I think you should expect that a single rabbitmq
box should be able to output around 30k msg/sec. Probably less with
a large number of active queues. But this really depends very much
on your access patterns.

Hope that helps!

Marek