[rabbitmq-discuss] Embedded device and RabbitMQ

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jan 17 13:27:00 GMT 2012

Hi Rob,

The tutorial-six is to demonstrate RPCs (Remote Procedure Calls). This is appropriate for the case where there is always a response (reply) to a request.  If you require a response rarely (or not all the time) it would probably be more efficient to write your own pair of programs (client/server) which have a mechanism for deciding whether to respond or not.

Having said that, it is possible to distinguish between a call and a 'cast' in the RpcServer part, and not to send a response back for a cast, but we currently have no way of sending a cast from the client code.  You could extend that.

Finally, the current Rpc cide uses QueueingConsumer which, although it works quite well, is a bit slow, and it is possible to directly use Consumer code to process the server requests (and receive replies) without hjaving to have an intermediate queue (which is no longer necessary from 2.7.0 because of an improved Consumer threading model).

A better description of your problem space, could help us to assist you more.

Steve Powell  (a happy bunny)
----------some more definitions from the SPD----------
vermin (v.) Treating the dachshund for roundworm.
chinchilla (n.) Cooling device for the lower jaw.
socialcast (n.) Someone to whom everyone is speaking but nobody likes.