[rabbitmq-discuss] Ruby and AMQP

Doug Barth dougbarth at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 16:44:00 GMT 2012

Our application makes use of both RabbitMQ backed workers and Resque
workers. We've found RabbitMQ to be a good fit for quick to process,
high volume units of work (eg. sending a text message to a phone).
Resque has been a better fit for work that takes longer to run and
generally can be volatile (eg. a backend script to clean up database
tables). We did a simple no-op test of Resque vs. a custom AMQP backed
worker. Resque's forking model results in a higher floor for how fast
a single job can be processed: ~10ms for Resque, vs. 0-1ms for AMQP.
This makes sense because processing a Resque job involves forking a
new process and re-establishing connections to any external resources.

For workers, we primarily run pools of workers that boot the Rails
environment and subscribe to queues to receive work. To manage those
pools, we use god/monit to start and stop them.

Overall, RabbitMQ has worked extremely well for these high performance
queues. We have a single box running the RabbitMQ server and have seen
it processing messages durable, persistent messages at up to 2,000/
sec. We've also had RabbitMQ have as many as 8.1M messages sitting in
queues waiting to be processed.

For request/response work loads, we've tried a few options. We played
with RabbitMQ as the communication mechanism, but found there were was
a performance penalty (likely our code) over a more typical web
service based connection. We now mostly use HTTP web service calls
between systems going through a load balancer. That works well enough,
but we find ourselves spending a fair amount of time dealing with
figuring out the best way to marshal data to and from JSON. We also
need to reconfigure the load balancer to add new capacity.

At some point, we'd like to get back to using a queueing system for
the communication mechanism. This presents two potential benefits for
us: being able to use msgpack to serialize data between systems, and
being able to boot new workers and have them start pulling work
without any config changes.

--
Doug Barth
Engineer