[rabbitmq-discuss] Number of queues and messages

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Jan 13 11:44:19 GMT 2012

On 12/01/12 20:51, Mark wrote:
> Is there any hard limit on the number of queues and/or messages one
> RabbitMQ broker can handle? I'm guessing it would be bound by available
> ram on the machine?

RabbitMQ will page out messages to disc under memory pressure. It still
keeps a small amount of per-message metadata in RAM though.

The number of queues is bound by RAM.

In practice, both limits are quite high.

> How about if queues and messages are persisted?

Makes no difference - transient messages *can* get paged out, persistent
ones *must*.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen