[rabbitmq-discuss] handshake_timeout

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jan 9 17:15:18 GMT 2012

On 09/01/12 17:07, Rosa, Andrea wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sometimes I find in the log file these errors:
> Type A
> =ERROR REPORT==== 9-Jan-2012::06:01:49 ===
> exception on TCP connection<0.211.5973>  from x.x.x.x:54400
> {handshake_timeout,handshake}
>
> Type B
> =ERROR REPORT==== 9-Jan-2012::03:37:43 ===
> exception on TCP connection<0.9443.464>  from x.x.x.x:57573
> {handshake_timeout,frame_header}
>
> Can you confirm me that:
> - those problem mean that the client cannot terminate the handshake protocol? So is It not a problem with the server?

It means the client and server did not complete the AMQP handshake
before a timeout occurred (10s).

> - The hankdshake timeout is something defined at OS level

No, it's a rabbit thing - hard coded in rabbit_reader at the moment.

> - it's not clear to me the difference between type A and B

The difference is in how far it got before the timeout. In type A it got
almost nowhere - not even the first few bytes ("AMQP\0\0\9\1") got
through. In type B some connection start frames may have been exchanged.

You might see type A if people are doing "telnet servername 5672" or
otherwise connecting and then sending nothing at all. You should only
see type B if you have a very slow or buggy client I think.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware