[rabbitmq-discuss] Federating distributed RabbitMQ brokers

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jan 5 10:42:06 GMT 2012

On 21/12/11 15:02, Iain Emsley wrote:
> Slightly following on from my earlier mail regarding getting ActiveMQ
> and RabbitMQ talking to each other, I'm looking at the way that our
> brokers operate.
>
> As I'm pushing messages across firewalls, is it considered best practice
> to have a central broker and SSL/VPN tunnel to allow the consumer in the
> different zones or to have a Rabbit broker in each zone and federate
> them, leaving the consumers to listen to messages in their own zone?

To some extent the answer is always "it depends".

A single broker is simpler to set up and think about. If your clients
can cope with WAN links going down and your message rates are low enough
to fit within a single broker this is always going to be the simplest
thing to do. Otherwise you'll want to federate.

> With the second option of having a broker in each zone, I assume from my
> reading on the plugins site that the RabbitMQ federation plugin would be
> the best option into terms of ensuring that messages sent to an
> exchange/queue can be transferred to the correct broker  using amqp+ssl?
> If I split the traffic across vhosts, can these be  aded to the
> federation (i.e. If I want to split up traffic coming from different
> systems?)

Sure - federation works on a per-exchange basis.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware