[rabbitmq-discuss] Additional fields returned via /api/overview?

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Fri Dec 28 18:58:43 GMT 2012

> How would you like to see that information presented?

The page is fine for understanding what requests I can make but it doesn't
at all cover what responses are expected.

Thus, in order to see if a particular request is going to provide what I
need, I have to construct a call and examine the output fields. It would be
nice if there was a schema definition for what the response look like. JSON
is fine for my needs - I don't know about others.

An interesting twist on the above is also that in some circumstances, not
all data is returned for a given request. I'm specifically thinking about
the case where the 'stats' database isn't available, so only a subset of
the fields were returned when querying queue stats (I think I'm recalling
the exact scenario correctly.)

A tiny bit more background - I'm starting to write tooling that will work
against both 2.8 and 3.0 versions, so I need to query which version of the
server I'm talking to. I initially queried a 3.0.1 instance for
/api/overview and found the "rabbitmq_version" element. Great! So I coded
that up in my tooling, and was then surprised when I didn't find that
element when querying a 2.8.7 instance.

Is this normal? Correct? Who knows? I have no schema reference to consult.
:-)

Matt