[rabbitmq-discuss] Checking consumer message delivery

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Dec 19 10:34:26 GMT 2012

On 19/12/12 09:08, Chris Duncan wrote:
> I'm doing some testing around consumer behaviour and I'd like to confirm
> that what I'm seeing on the wire is expected RabbitMQ behaviour. My
> environments are running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (32bit and 64bit), Erlang
> R14B04 and RabbitMQ 3.0.1.
>
> In my simple test I publish one message to a queue. Then I register a
> consumer on that queue. What I see coming back from the server (via
> Wireshark) is a frame that contains a consume-ok and a delivery message
> set as follows:

<snip>

> Is this what you would expect to see or should the consume-ok and
> delivery set be returned as separate frames? Any help would be much
> appreciated.

AFAICS that's one *ethernet* frame containing two AMQP methods composed
of four *AMQP* frames. (The deliver method consists of three AMQP frames).

We make no attempt to make AMQP frame boundaries match underlying IP
packets / ethernet frames - it's transparent to clients, and it would be
less efficient for small messages and impossible for large ones.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware