[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq exchange missing after reboot

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Dec 17 17:59:34 GMT 2012

On 17/12/12 17:54, Prabodh Upreti wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am using rabbitmq 2.8.6.  I am able to create an exchange using
> rabbitmqadmin
>
> rabbitmqadmin declare exchange name=xxx type=topic
>
> and everything is fine. When I reboot my VM my exhange is missing.  Is there
> something missing as part of exchange creation that is making it temporary.
> I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Sure. Exchanges and queues can either be durable or transient - the
latter type do not survive broker restarts (but are slightly less
expensive to create). The HTTP API (and hence rabbitmqadmin) defaults to
declaring transient exchanges / queues (hmm, maybe it shouldn't - but it
does). To ask for a durable exchange:

$ rabbitmqadmin declare exchange name=xxx type=topic durable=true

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware