[rabbitmq-discuss] Backup message and state at a point of time

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon Dec 17 09:57:00 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 17/12/12 04:03, uusiddiqui wrote:
> Is the potential resolution i have stated above is a standard way to go with
> Rabbitmq.

Taking a snapshot of the $RABBITMQ_MNESIA_BASE and /etc/rabbitmq
directories after the broker has completed an orderly shutdown is the
standard way of making a backup on Unix. Keep in mind that only
persistent messages published to durable queues will survive a broker
restart. You can test this by supplying these directories after a clean
installation of the broker on the same server.

In a clustered environment make sure you stop and start nodes in the
correct order as per the clustering guide:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html

> Is there any way i can export the message and import the messages( i saw in
> admin console that if we go to each queue we can dump the message) ( i have
> seen in the management console that we can export/import broker
> configuration but it doesn't contain messages)

You can backup the broker configuration separately using the management
interface, but there is no automated way of backing up the contents of
queues. You can write such a procedure suitable for your environment in
terms of consumers and publishers though.

-Emile