[rabbitmq-discuss] auto upgrade rabbitmq

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Dec 13 10:59:13 GMT 2012

On 12/12/12 23:00, Zhao, Shanyu wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there any document on how to upgrade rabbitmq server on Ubuntu and
> how to configure the auto-upgrade feature on the server? I found that
> our rabbitmq server upgrades automatically without anybody running any
> command on the server.

Hi. The only thing that RabbitMQ does about upgrades is update its own
data structures when the server installation has already been upgraded.
That's what you're seeing in the log.

So the question you need to answer is "what is upgrading the installed
server?" I'm afraid I can't help you there, but I promise it is not
RabbitMQ itself. Probably some script is running "apt-get dist-upgrade"
or similar.

Cheers, Simon

> Here is the relevant part of rabbitmq log (the time is in GMT):
>
> *=INFO REPORT==== 30-Nov-2012::04:54:46 ===*
>
> *mnesia upgrades: 6 to apply*
>
> **
>
> *=INFO REPORT==== 30-Nov-2012::04:54:46 ===*
>
> *mnesia upgrades: Breaking cluster*
>
> **
>
> *=INFO REPORT==== 30-Nov-2012::04:54:46 ===*
>
> *mnesia upgrades: Applying rabbit_upgrade_functions:runtime_parameters*
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shanyu

> “I always like to point out that it isn't methodologies that succeed or
> fail, _it's teams that succeed or fail. _Taking on a process can help a
> team raise its game, but in the end it's the team that matters and
> carries the responsibility to do what works for them.”
>
> --by Martin Fowler

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware