[rabbitmq-discuss] x-received-from headers with the Shovel plugin...

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Dec 3 10:42:52 GMT 2012

On 30/11/12 21:23, David Buckingham wrote:
> It's not that I want shovel to be more opinionated, just more
> informative.  For example, I'm playing with a topology that includes
> both federation and shovel.  I'd like to offer the consumers the
> ability to have a true understanding of the path of the message.
> Currently, the x-received-from header only includes the upstream
> exchanges where the message was published.  If the message was
> originally "shoveled" from a remote queue to the upstream exchange,
> I'd like the x-received-from header to indicate both the source
> (shoveled queue), and the upstream exchange.

Oh, sure, I just wanted to explain how it came to be the way it is.

> Is it possible to "fake" the x-received-from header using the
> 'publish_properties' config item?

Sort of. The problem is that the shovel will only overwrite properties,
not append to them. And in fact it will treat headers as a single
property. So if the shovel is the first step in the chain, you're good.
Otherwise no. Hmm.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen