[rabbitmq-discuss] Exchange/Federation problems (unknown exchange type 'x-federation-upstream') and inability to connect to a broker after moving from R13B03 to R15B01

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Aug 22 15:08:21 BST 2012

On 22/08/12 01:33, Matt Pietrek wrote:
> I've ran into something odd. Previously, using RabbitMQ 2.8.5 and R13B03
> (the default Erlang for Ubunto 10.04) I had three brokers (mq1, mq2,
> mq3) in a symmetric exchange configuration (e.g, mq1 was the upstream
> for mq2/mq3, and vice-versa.)

So specifically you have mq2 <---> mq1 <---> mq3; i.e. mq2 and mq3 are
not connected by federation?

> Everything worked groovy and I could connect to all the brokers, I could
> pump messages through my defined  topic exchange ('skytap') between
> federated brokers, and so forth.
>
> After upgrading my Erlang version to R15B01, brokers mq2 and mq3 start
> fine, work as expected and I see my 'skytap' exchange on them. However,
> mq1 mostly starts up (I see lots of mnesia spew), but it never accepts
> connections, I can't log into the management console. The beam.smp
> process is running on mq3, however.

Do you mean mq1?

> My config file for mq1 looks like this:

<snip>

> The rabbit at mq1.log file has this:

> =WARNING REPORT==== 21-Aug-2012::17:09:23 ===
> Could not find exchange type x-federation.

This is very suspicious - are you absolutely sure the federation plugin
is enabled?

Actually, you also say you can't log into the management console - have
you ended up disabling (somehow) all plugins on that broker? The logs
show no since of management even attempting to start.

(You say "inability to connect to a broker" - I assume you mean to the
management console since the log shows AMQP connections being accepted.)

What does /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_log show under "Activating RabbitMQ
plugins"? What does "rabbitmq-plugins list" show?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware