[rabbitmq-discuss] How many queues can one broker support

Brett Cameron brett.r.cameron at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 23:15:39 BST 2012

Sharon,

Further to Simon's comments, each connection will consume ~66K memory and
each connection also creates 8 Erlang processes (or thereabouts), so you'd
need to factor in this memory usage and ensure that Erlang is able to spin
up the required number of processes. You'd obviously also need to tweak a
few system parameters to allow that many connections/sockets - all quite
doable of course, but I'd concur with Simon that unless you have a pretty
grunty server you could face some challenges. That being said, Erlang (and
by inference RabbitMQ) can certainly handle this sort of thing... you might
like to have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDk6l3tPBuw.

Brett