[rabbitmq-discuss] C client questions . . .

Jeff Markham jmarkham at vmware.com
Fri Aug 17 19:04:12 BST 2012

Thanks much, Alan.  I'll follow up to see if any engineers have any suggestions based on your feedback.

Jeff Markham
Senior Systems Engineer
vFabric Cloud Application Platform
VMware
(949) 385-3806

On Aug 17, 2012, at 7:40 AM, Alan Antonuk wrote:

Jeff;

Handshake timeout? I think that's what happens when the client opens a socket (using amqp_open_socket) to the broker and doesn't complete the handshake process (calling amqp_login) in a certain amount of time.  The timeout is something set on the broker.

I could imagine this sort of thing happening if for whatever reason the handshake was delayed, or you open a bunch of sockets to the broker without doing the handshake (calling amqp_login).  Other reasons why this could be happening:
- The broker is too busy (I/O or CPU) to complete the handshake in enough time (maybe you have a bunch of clients trying to connect at the same time?)
- There is a serious amount of network traffic preventing your clients from getting to the broker.
- Something on the client side is really slowing down the handshake process

Going to CC the rabbitmq-discuss list see if they have any ideas.

-Alan