[rabbitmq-discuss] BrokerUnreachableException on MS Framework

Mark Ward ward.mark at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:05:32 BST 2012

It appears depending on which framework the .net client is executed upon
the BrokerUnreachableException exception will have more information to help
identify why "None of the specified endpoints were unreachable" was thrown.

When the .NET client is executed on the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 the
RabbitMQ.Client.Exceptions.BrokerUnreachableException is thrown but does
not contain any information in the inner exception on why an endpoint was
unreachable.  I have found in the RabbitMQDotNetClient source the
BrokerUnreachableException contains parameters to collect the connection
errors via a dictionary class.  This information is hidden unless
.ToString() is called on the class.  When running on the Microsoft .NET
framework 4.0 the .ToString() does not output any detailed information as
to why the exception occurred.

When the Mono 2.10.8 runtime is used the client will throw the same
exception but the .ToString() does output detailed information about the
possible cause of the exception.  The inner exception is also set.

I am working through learning how the Access Control works in RabbitMQ and
to validate some of my assumptions I am setting up unit tests to make sure
the access control settings restrict my test clients from performing the
restricted action.  This means I am expecting the exceptions and I am not
to worried about getting them. What I am worried about is once in
production I will not have a controlled environment and will need more
information about the connection failure. We will not be running on the
mono framework.

Is there a bug with the BrokerUnreachableException running on the .NET
framework?