[rabbitmq-discuss] dead-letter-exchange behaviour

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Aug 2 23:11:54 BST 2012

On 02/08/12 20:13, cogitate wrote:
> just a note:
>    when the server received messages ( with default prefetch) and 10 messages
> were dispatched from the client, the management console displayed "10 Unackd
> and 10 Total" on the server queue. this confused me because, if it's in the
> server queue why doesn't rabbit honor the x-message-ttl of the queue?
> this was not very clear in the "Fair Dispatch" section.

Well, the unacked messages have to remain *somewhere*, and that
somewhere happens to be the queue. I suppose we could point out that
unacked messages do not expire, but that's actually kinda misleading,
for if they are nack'ed / requeued and the ttl has been exceeded then
they *do* expire.

Matthias.