[rabbitmq-discuss] vm_memory_high_watermark of RabbitMQ

Chen, Bin Bin.Chen at kla-tencor.com
Thu Aug 2 04:15:50 BST 2012

Hi All,

I have a question on the setting "vm_memory_high_watermark" of RabbitMQ.

Be default, "vm_memory_high_watermark" is set to 800 MB.

Based on the document, this means the fraction is 0.4.

My system is Windows 2008 Server 64-bit. It has 24 GB ram installed.

When I ran "rabbitmqctl status", I got a different fraction for
"vm_memory_high_watermark".

It is much smaller than 0.4, and it seems equal to 800 MB / 24 GB.

However when I tried to use "rabbitmqctl set_vm_memory_high_watermark",
I have to use 0.4 in order to get 800 MB VM.

This is inconsistent.

I notice that the erl.exe has /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag ON.

This means the Erlang VM can use up to 4 GB ram instead of 2 GB on a
64-bit Windows.

It is safe to raise vm_memory_high_watermark to 1.6 GB in this case?

Thanks,

--Bin Chen