[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP 1.0 Support

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 21:35:50 BST 2012

On 04/20/2012 07:12 PM, Martin Sustrik wrote:
> I think Jason has a point in that AMQP/1.0 has deliberately dropped to
> "model" part of spec (i.e. exchanges/queues/bindings) which was the real
> meat of the protocol.

It has deliberately moved on from a model explicitly based on exchanges,
binding and queues. It has generalised the model, making it simpler and
more consistent, while supporting the same patterns.

I would disagree that the exchange/queue/binding was the real meat of AMQP.

> I have no idea what the reasons were. In any case it dumbs down the
> protocol to the extent where it becomes an ugly version of TCP built on
> top of TCP.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-) I don't think its fair to say
it dumbs down the protocol though, as it is more capable than previous
versions (more control over different options for reliability, more
control over managing the flow of messages, standardised approaches to
message signing etc).

The fact that TCP provides acking and flow control is not sufficient in
many cases. An application level protocol still needs to have a solution
to these, particularly one that aims to be a general protocol for
asynchronous message transfer.