[rabbitmq-discuss] Idle TCP Connections to Broker

Bell, Paul M. pbell at syncsort.com
Fri Apr 20 12:39:24 BST 2012

Thank you very much, Matthias.

-Paul

On Apr 20, 2012, at 5:50 AM, "Matthias Radestock" <matthias at rabbitmq.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> On 17/04/12 23:14, Bell, Paul M. wrote:
>> I've heard a "rumor" that the broker will close TCP connections to
>> consumers and producers if these connections are idle for some period
>> of time.
>>
>> Can someone confirm the truth of this? If it's true, is this imposed
>> by Rabbit, or are we talking about an underlying TCP behavior?
>
> The broker does *not* close idle connections. But some firewalls are
> known to do that.
>
>> At the same time, I heard tell of a way of connecting to the broker
>> that allows you to specify a kind of "heartbeat" mode which keeps the
>> connection active by periodically sending a heartbeat message to the
>> broker. Is there such a connection option?
>
> Yes. Check the documentation for the client library. E.g. in the java
> client the setting is at
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-java-client/v2.8.1/rabbitmq-java-client-javadoc-2.8.1/com/rabbitmq/client/ConnectionFactory.html#setRequestedHeartbeat(int)
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias.

ATTENTION: -----

The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted with this message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other  confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any pricing information contained in this message or in any files transmitted with this message is always confidential and cannot be shared with any third parties without prior written approval from Syncsort. This message is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this message in your possession, custody or control.