[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ as Android Service - keep-alive/heartbeat

m.luchak at smartasking.com m.luchak at smartasking.com
Thu Apr 19 12:49:02 BST 2012

Hi All,

We are running RabbitMQ as a background service on Android to prinicpally receive notifications.  Is there something similar to keep-alive that we can implement to verify if the consumer is still connected and reset the connection timeout on the server?

It seems that the default method to do this is with heartbeat but the timer attribute of heartbeat doesn't work in the Android service scenario where the service is "woken up" every X minutes to test the connection. Using heartbeat we would need to leave Android running constantly and this defeats the purpose...

Soo.. Is there  "The Right Way" to ping the server when a background service is woken up or do we need to roll our own?

thanks very much,
Matthew